AmeriCorps Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) is the national service program designed specifically to lift people out of poverty. Founded in 1965, VISTA has been on the front lines fighting poverty in America for 50 years.
Literacy Coalition's affiliation with AmeriCorps VISTA
The Literacy Coalition has proudly sponsored an AmeriCorps VISTA as an intermediary organization in partnership with the Corporation for National and Community Service since 2012.
Coordinating VISTA service at partner agencies is one of the fundamental ways in which the Literacy Coalition achieves its mission. By leveraging federal resources, our existing partnerships with nonprofit agencies in Central Texas, and creating new partnerships across the state, the Literacy Coalition is changing the landscape of service provision and nonprofit sustainability.
We currently have 20 VISTAs serving throughout Texas in partner agencies.
INTERESTED IN BECOMING A VISTA?
VISTA members are full-time volunteers at nonprofit agencies. They help to improve health services, create and evaluate programs, strengthen community groups, conduct outreach, and much, much more. With passion, commitment, and hard work, VISTA members and their service sites create, implement, expand, and improve programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty.
A VISTA member's commitment to serve includes:
- 1-Year term of full-time (40 hours/week) volunteer service at nonprofit agency
- A montly living allowance of $990
- Health and prescription drug benefits
- Eligibility for additional stipends and benefits to assist with relocation expenses and childcare
- End-of-Service Benefits - members elect to receive either a cash stipend or the Segal Education Award (applicable to student loans or future tuition) upon fulfillment of their service commitment
Learn more about the Americorps VISTA service program here.
How to apply?
View our current service opportunities below. In order to apply you'll need to create a profile and submit an application at MyAmeriCorps.gov. If you already have a MyAmeriCorps account, you can submit an application to any of the positions below after you log in.
Positions starting July 2017
- AmeriCorps VISTA Family Literacy Program Associate (Austin Achieve Public School; Austin, Texas)
- AmeriCorps VISTA Development Coordinator (Literacy Coalition of Central Texas; Austin, Texas)
- AmeriCorps VISTA Fund Development Associate (South Texas Literacy Coalition; Edinburg, Texas)
- AmeriCorps VISTA Student Leadership Coordinator (College of the Mainland; Texas City, Texas)
- AmeriCorps VISTA Community Relations Coordinator (SAReads; San Antonio, Texas)
Positions starting August 2017
- AmeriCorps VISTA Community Outreach Specialist (Sharing Life; Mesquite, Texas)
- AmeriCorps VISTA Program Development Associate (Amaanah Refugee Services; Austin, Texas)
- AmeriCorps VISTA Community Engagement Coordinator (Kids in a New Groove; Austin, Texas)
- AmeriCorps VISTA Donor and Volunteer Retention Specialist (Restore Education; San Antonio, Texas)
INTERESTED IN BECOMING A HOSTING SITE?
Contact us to discuss your interest in hosting a VISTA and begin crafting your future member's role at your agency. The process for becoming a VISTA site can take up to six months. Criteria for each host site include:
- Adequate space and infrastructure to host a service member
- An identified staff person with the time and skill-set to support and supervise your VISTA during their service term
- An understanding of VISTA's capacity-building role and purpose at your agency
- A financial commitment to support the project (determined case-by-case)
- An understanding and commitment to perform the basic expectations of service sites: communication, reporting, creating a beneficial member experience, and more